Our Ladies in the Kitchen
We asked our ladies that now run the Culinary Unit some questions to get to know them better and this is what they had to say:
- How did you hear about Alliance House?
Both Angelica and Alice found Alliance House while looking for employment on the web.
- How are things going in the Culinary Unit?
Angelica says it’s going really smooth and she likes that.
Alice said It’s going well. It’s been fun trying new recipes and sharing life over cooking.
- Did you know anyone with mental illness before you started working here at AH?
Angelica didn’t know anyone with mental health issues.
Alice on the other hand had done an internship at St. Mark’s Psych Unit.
- Have any of your ideas about mental illness changed since you started working here?
For Angelica they really haven’t because she has always believed that all people should have the same opportunities as others have and be treated with the same respect.
As for Alice it sure did. She has learned that mental illness is much more common than society makes it seem and there are such varying degrees.
- What are some challenges of working here?
Angelica’s personal challenges are getting people involved in the work ordered day because she is so use to working alone, but she is finding it very exciting to work with members as a team.
Alice finds it hard to balance time management and make it meaningful at the same time.
- What are some things that you like about working here at AH?
Angelica loves that it is a sense of community, family, friendship, and support for each other. It’s also a place of learning.
Alice loves the members and the staff. She enjoys helping others see their abilities and strengths.
- What kinds of things do you do in your spare time?
Angelica likes to practice and play her violin, play her guitar, and play the piano. She likes to play board games with her husband and loves to dance.
Alice loves being in the mountains and mountain biking. She loves spending time with family and friends.
- If you could travel anywhere in the world where would you go?
Angelica would love to travel to Mexico.
Alice would love to go to Chili to explore the Andes.
By Nicole Ferguson and Trudy Bangert